Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Beauty Revealed Project

Looking in the mirror I sigh and turn to look at my butt in the new (to me) shorts I just put on. They are my favorite ones. Bright turquoise and black making them look like they are made of lace, and they are the really cute super high waisted (which I love on my body).

But they are really short.
I mean super-duper short singing "we wear short shorts" kind of short.

But they make me feel fun and pretty. I am so torn on wearing them. These are youthful shorts, ones you wear before babies and still are a single entity.

But I love them.

But society has taught me that unless I bought them is a size XXS I can't wear them and pull them off.

BUT I LOVE THEM!

Theo wanders in to ask for my help to put on his shirt and looks at me in my new shorts. "OOOH MAMA! These are cool." He says fingers playing with the hem line on my thigh. His smiling face looks up and me and I know he only sees beauty.

I ask him, "How do I look?"
"Beautiful." Is his reply.

So I've decided to try and view my body through my child's eyes. Not society's. He sees me as strong and beautiful. I didn't wear the shorts that day but I've been learning to put my best effort into finding beauty in my after-babies body.

With this effort I decided to take part of the Beauty Revealed Project. Its a project that was made to highlight and embrace women's bodies after a pregnancy and birth. It shows the beauty of what our society has labeled as flaws. 

Four other mamas and myself stripped down to our undies and embraced our beautiful bodies in front of a camera.

It was scary, surprisingly enthralling, and fun. Our kids played in the sand. We joked and laughed while we took our turns posing in front of the camera wielding goddess Nancy from Daisy Jean Photography.

Here is a sneak peek of my photos and my explanations. (I'm not sharing anyone else's because I don't have their permission to do so here. But go like Daisy Jean and see the other photos from this shoot).




My thighs touch, my boob are real (and look it), and on first sight it is obvious I have grown two children in my womb. But I love this vessel that hold my heart and soul. And the best part is that it held two other hearts and souls in it too. This body is scared. I love it.




I went into my surgery thinking I would never be beautiful anymore. But over the years I realized that my scars are a symbol of my ability to survive and my will to live. I have grown to love them and the person that I am because of them. My stretch marks have a similar story except these marks are each a small piece of my pride. With these scars they symbolize my ability to give life, nourish life, and love life






I'll update more when I get more photos back. Until then, love your body and check out the BRP. Babies or no babies. The female form is so beautiful in so many different figures and shapes. 

Love,
Dan


**UPDATED**

Got this awesome photo back tonight! This night was so much fun, with some wonderful and inspiring women.



No comments:

Post a Comment